The United Nations declared the first Monday of October as World Habitat Day over 30 years ago. It also announced the access to clean water and sanitation as a human right back in 2010. That makes right now the perfect time for us to act within our local communities while thinking globally. In honor of World Habitat Day, Water Doctors staff had the pleasure of volunteering with the Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce Weed It & Reap Community Clean-Up Event.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
Today is a reminder that we have a responsibility to shape the future of our communities through reflection and action.
Simple ways to help support your community, our planet, and stop pollution:
- Recycle, Reuse, and Compost. Landfills are getting too full in many communities and polluting our environment; do your part and help spread awareness. One simple step is to use reusable water bottles. Billions of plastic water bottles are purchased in the United States every year, and about 75% are ending up on our streets, oceans, and landfills and not being recycled.
Did you know the bottled water you are buying is probably city tap water that has gone through the reverse osmosis process? You can save time, money and reduce your carbon footprint by having your own reverse osmosis system. We can help!
- Give Support. Identify the needs of your community and volunteer. Lend a helping hand when possible, whether it is giving directions, helping to push a stroller when you see a mother struggling, comforting the young and elderly as needed, or holding a door; everything counts.
- Donate your unused items that are still in good condition. Someone else may need them. Our landfills certainly do not.
- Learn about and support local businesses and organizations. Attend a few local events or your neighborhood coffee shop; you might start building a network or making new friends. Find the best way to share your skills and talents. A lot of times, our community offers excellent products and services; local support contributes to a healthier community, and there are many benefits to buying locally.
Did you know Water Doctors will customize your water treatment system based on the needs in your specific area? We custom engineer our water conditioning equipment because we understand that one system or size does not fit all scenarios.
- Save WATER and ENERGY. Limit your shower time to 5 minutes or less, turn off the water while brushing your teeth, turn lights off when not needed, and use energy-saving appliances. Even that 5-minute shower is going to use more water than the average person in a developing country uses in a whole day.
Did you know your hard water could be clogging your plumbing and slowing down your water pressure? Contact us for a free water test.
- Drive less. When able, try to drive, walk, bike, or carpool. Take public transportation; who knows -- you may meet a new neighbor or discover a new place right within your community.
- Help clean up our local rivers and parks. There is a shortage of CLEAN WATER GLOBALLY. In the United States, over 1.2 trillion gallons of groundwater, untreated sewage, and industrial waste are discharged in our oceans annually. Did you know you are probably ingesting some of that?
We have a saying at our company.
If someone doesn’t buy a filter, they’ll be a filter.
- Chemicals in water will always be removed, eventually, either at the tap or in the body. We are privileged to live in a time and a country where many of the waterborne illnesses have been eliminated thanks to these treatments. However, we need to understand that these treatments are just not a final solution. When it comes to the water we drink, cook with, bathe in, and run through your appliances, we can do more.
If you want to have your water tested to see precisely what toxins and chemicals you’re dealing with in your home, click here.